torrey maldonado
home torrey maldonado bio torrey maldonado books reviews educators-groups contact in the news torrey maldonado blog
Torrey Maldonado: Being A Multi-Sport Endurance Author

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Being A Multi-Sport Endurance Author

I feel like a triathlete.

Wikipedia says a triathlon is a "multi-sport endurance event" and is split into different segments.

Sounds like my life. An endurance test. Split in parts. For starters, I'm a: public school teacher, debut author, husband, new dad, "more than an uncle", brother, son, etc.

Whew! Saying that list is tiring. Imagine fulfilling those roles at once! It feels like I'm in a "multi-sport event" and I see how it affects my energy when carefully carved out times to finally watch shows I DVRed morph into me nodding into sleep from exhaustion. As a first-time published-author, these are my debut days and I sometimes call my present-reality my "Debut Daze".

Yet you know how people support triathletes by handing them cups of water, Gatorade, energy packs and bars when triathletes move from one event to the next?

Well, people and life are amazingly showing up for me.

Here's a list of some of what's recently energized me and kept me going:

  • Secret Saturdays made the Association of American Publishers' 2010 children's recommended reading list!
  • Another great, recent librarian review!

  • On May 6th at the East Harlem Cafe, I read alongside Sofia Quintero, Elisha Miranda, and the legendary Nicholasa Mohr. After, Nicholasa pulled me to the side and said, "I love what you did. You got it. You have a natural speaking style that makes listeners respond to you. Don't change." Okay, Nicholasa is one of the best known Nuyorican writers, has earned a spectrum of awards including The NY Times Outstanding Book of the Year, and has been a writing giant since the 1970s to now and she's telling me that? Right after talking with her, I wanted to grab the nearest person next to me and yell, "Yes! That really JUST HAPPENED!"

  • On May 18th I returned to my hometown and spoke at the same Red Hook Public Library where years ago I asked James McBride (the author of The Color of Water) to sign that book as I told him how I planned to join him as a novelist to put where he and I were born and raised--Red Hook Projects--on the map. On May 18th, a dream came true when I took my turn to stand at the podium where McBride once stood and I read from Secret Saturdays!

So when I feel like my life is an exhausting "multi-sport endurance event," those memories give me my Red Bull wings and make me zip through my days humming the song "(Ain't Nobody Gonna) Break My Stride."

1 Comments:

Blogger DuEwa Frazier said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home